Net Smart


Net Smart was full of information. Some much information, I had a difficult time digesting it. It wasn’t all new information which was maybe one reason I had a hard time taking it in. I did appreciate the section in Chapter 5 when Rheingold gave us the 5 Literacies in a Nutshell. I have found myself referring back to this section frequently since reading Net Smart. I enjoyed how he broke down each literacy and gave suggestions and tips that were almost 1 liners. They were broken down and written in a way that anyone could understand, and everyone could take something away from it. 

The 5 literacies are attention, crap detection, participation, collaboration, and net smarts. Rheingold also points out that these are not the only literacies but the literacies that he feels are the most important. Some take a ways for me were that attention can be taught and he gave a list of great ways to fine tune your crap detection. Several of the sites/tips he gave were new to me- like: putting “link: http://” in front of your url when searching or using a site like factcheck.org to check political claims or DuckDuckGo to break out of your search filter bubble.

As adults we have to become better at practicing the 5 literacies, living them, and teaching them to our students and children.

Comments

  1. I agree, as adults it is our responsibility to teach our students and our own kids about practicing the 5 literacies. And I am all about fact checking. Does the article sound too good to be true? or maybe doesn't quite fit in with what other information you have been hearing or reading on the topic? You should always check. I am that annoying friend on Facebook who will post a fact check under something that was posted- we need to find a way to stop spreading fake information.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vygotsky and Design Principle 4

The ABCS and SPDs