Copyright and Fair Use
Copyright and fair use….
What? When I think of copyright, I picture the federal warning that would pop
up in a movie at the beginning of a VHS tape. Do DVD’s even have that warning?
Now I skip to the main menu and hit play. I think this stands out to me because
this was probably my first connection to thinking that using copyrighted
materials is bad. When you record a VHS tape and give it to someone else, yes
that is breaking the law, but you really can use copyrighted materials. If you
are using them in the right way.
It’s important that our
educators are aware of copyright and fair use and it isn’t just something that
is reserved for teachers and students in the upper grades. I know that when I
was in the primary classroom, I wish I was more educated on this topic. It is
something that I feel some educators really need to work on for themselves not
just with the students. I think we can all think of a few coworkers that maybe
purchased a resource and then copied it for the team so everyone would have it.
I can’t seem to locate it but the story about the woman speaking at a
conference being handed a binder of her own work made me make a connection to
some of my former coworkers.
I really liked Resource
A in the back of Copyright Clarity. I can see myself using some of the proposed
outline with the staff at my school. I wonder if this is something that could
be addressed at a whole staff meeting or by grade level?
Ha, Ha. I love your connection on DVD's and VHS tapes! I remember having friends that used to copy them and offer to share them with me. I always politely declined because of that warning! So when I began my teaching career I was diligent about reading the copyright statement at the front of any "Teacher"book and text book. I remember the days when students had to have their own copy of a math workbook because it was consumable and the publishing company made money off of every copy sold. I never made copies from a consumable material, but a lot of teachers did. I don't believe that the fair use act would apply to consumable materials. I also watch books that I purchase from the teacher's stores. I don't want to pay for something that I can't make a copy of for student use. I must say that I am still as diligent as I was as a new teacher. I want to make sure I am respectful of other peoples hard work and use their materials fairly.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reminding me of Resource A in the back of Copyright Clarity. It is an outstanding resource for staff and /or training. Maybe when I finish with this program. I'll donate my course books to my school library. I've found most of them to be very informative.
I feel like so many of us had that same first experience with copyright! It seems like it is just there to scare you!
ReplyDeleteThere is so much to learn and know about copyright and fair use- I think that informing staff at your school is a great idea. Most of the teachers I have met want to follow the law, but are so confused about it they don't know where to begin. Is that a PD you would run? I wonder if your librarian would work on something with you.