My Information DIet


When I think about my own information consumption over the years, I can’t say that it’s a positive one. Like most people I’ve become addicted to that little device in my hands. Often times taking away from quality time that I could be spending with my loved ones. If I’m not on my phone, then my computer is probably open. Funny what the world we live in is like now. 

Even before reading The Information Diet, I had started to implement change into the amount of technology I’m using and what I’m using it for. I used to only rely on one media source for my news, the news I was raised seeing my dad watch. Now I bop around between at least 3 news outlets. I have started using the screen time function on my iPhone. I’ve deleted Facebook but still have Instagram. I have started deleting people I follow if I find they cause me to feel some jealousy about their wonderful lifestyles or if they don’t make me feel some type of joy. I’m more aware of the amount of time I spend on my devices, especially when I’m around my daughter.

While in no way is what I’m doing perfect I feel like it is moving my information consumption in a positive direction with more balance. Some days are easier than others to put my devices away, but I want my choices to have positive impacts on my life.


Comments

  1. Hi Liz,
    I think it is awesome that you have branched out a bit and read multiple news sources. There is so much information out there that it is hard to keep track of! I love your comment "I’m more aware of the amount of time I spend on my devices, especially when I’m around my daughter." I have had to do that as well. If we are doing something together as a family, I have become much more aware of my phone use. I even told my kids that they could call me out if I used my phone too much :). I have been pretty successful. I wish I could convince my husband to do the same- though I think he has picked up on the changes I have made and is trying :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you identified the notion that we make choices that have a positive impact on our life. Technology has become such a big part of our lives and I find I really have to segment the purpose of it in my life specifically. I have to always ask myself: is this technology essential for my work? do I need this app or device to function better? is this just for enjoyment? These questions are easily answered but I know I need to cut back and BE with my kids especially more attentively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations in taking control of your information diet. I think that there is so much out there to influence and change the way you feel. I am glad you are taking control and only following people who bring you joy!

    I made the mistake of loading Outlook for FCPS on to my cell phone this summer because I felt guilty for missing too many emails. As the year has progressed I found myself reading emails day and night, week day and on weekends. I realized that it began making me feel anxious, so recently I deleted it. I only respond to emails Monday-Friday 8:15 am - 3:45 (a little later, if I choose ). I feel like people who emailed me all weekend long began expecting a response immediately. Now, even if the weekend is the most convenient time for them to email me. They will not get a response until Monday morning at the earliest.

    I do applaud you too for using multiple new web sites to gather your daily news information. I need to plan and develop a better news/ political information diet that is not slanted toward one political party or another and allows me to consider multiple perspectives and form my own opinions and make my own decisions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Vygotsky and Design Principle 4

The ABCS and SPDs