Teachers as Designers
All of my teaching career I have spent my Sundays completing my
lesson plans for the week. I could complete complete well crafted lesson plans
in my sleep. But a teacher as a designer? This is a new concept to me. How is
planning different from designing? Well this past week I learned that planning
is anything that involves a sequence. While I was in the classroom, every year
I would plan some version of the same lesson. I might tweak here or there
depending on the demographics of my class. Most lessons would go as planned,
when you teach first grade, not much can go wrong- I mean you’re only laying
the foundational groundwork and skills they need to be successful throughout
the rest of their schooling. Nonetheless my classroom functioned like a
well-oiled machine.
Now throw in the concept of design. Designers start by
identifying real problems. They analyze and find solutions. This is a different
approach than what I was taught back in my teacher prep program in college and
requires a paradigm shift. In my new role as an IFT, I can see myself wearing
more of the designer hat. I am responsible for working with teachers to analyze
data and offer support within their classroom. I can help guide and facilitate
conversations that will help teachers identify problems within their practice
and help them to create solutions. By facilitating these types of
conversations, I can help staff members become designers within their own
classrooms. An element to the design process that I thought was really
meaningful and would create a lot of impact is for teachers to listen to their
students. Interview them, observe them, empathize with them. Giving students a
voice is a very powerful tool that can help you to identify a problem of
practice and can be a part of creating a solution.
Hi Liz!
ReplyDeleteSo What is an IFT? From the sounds of your job you have a great platform to show the design process to other teachers. When we were starting PBL at my school, we started small, each grade level had to complete one project per semester. Building capacity with our teachers, we now have them complete one per quarter. Sounds like you have a really awesome role with endless possibilities for 21st century learning and design!
An IFT is an Instructional Facilitator of Technology. I guess it would be an SBTS in Fairfax.
DeleteIt seems education is second on the military in its use of acronyms. I'm sorry I don't know what IFT stands for but it appears you are in some type of a coaching position. If so, this gives you an opportunity to pass what you're learning on to many teachers. Have you started discussing design vs planning with teachers yet? If so, how are they responding?
ReplyDeleteHi Liz! I can't see all of your blog. It doesn't seem to be posting straight down the page. It could be user-error on my part:-)
ReplyDeleteWhomp! I see what you see! I'll try again!
DeleteLiz
ReplyDeleteYou said, "Giving students a voice is a very powerful tool that can help you to identify a problem of practice and can be a part of creating a solution. " I couldn't agree more! I was recently reading a Responsive Classroom book and they provide teachers with a design page to help students solve routine or behavioral problems in the classroom. I think it is a brilliant example that is appropriate for upper elementary students. I am going to ask my students to pin point one problem in our class that they would like to solve. I will assign like problems together and have students collaborate to solve the problem. Then I will ask them how to monitor it!